If this brutal cold front lingers much longer, the thought of a trip to Orange County, Calif., could make boys, ages 13 to 14 years old, give their best effort when trying out for the JCC Maccabi Games basketball team.
The Philadelphia delegation will hold its first tryouts for the summer games on Feb. 3 at the Kaiserman JCC in Wynnewood. Tryouts for other sports will continue through April.
The annual JCC Maccabi Games will be played this year in Orange County and in Austin, Texas.
The Orange County games will take place Aug. 4-9 and feature:
- boys basketball, ages 13 to 14;
- girls basketball, ages 13 to 16;
- boys soccer, ages 15 to 16;
- girls soccer, ages 13 to 16;
- boys and girls lacrosse, ages 13 to 16;
- boys in-line hockey, ages 13 to 16;
- boys baseball, ages 13 to 14;
- girls softball, ages 13 to 16;
- coed tennis, ages 13 to 16; and
- coed track and field, ages 13 to 16.
The Austin games will take place from July 28 to Aug. 2 and feature:
- coed dance, ages 13 to 16;
- coed swimming, ages 13 to 16;
- boys soccer, ages 13 to 14;
- boys baseball, ages 15 to 16; and
- boys basketball, ages 15 to 16.
For the dates and locations of tryouts, click here .
Also happening this summer are the 19th World Maccabiah Games in Israel, an event that happens once every four years and sometimes gets confused with the annual JCC Maccabi games. These games, billed as the Jewish Olympics, bring together teams from all over the world and involve older teenagers and adult athletes.
Most of the teams have been chosen already, with many local participants gearing up for the July Games in Israel. The only remaining tryouts for U.S. teams are for wrestling, which will take place April 7 in Beachwood, Ohio.
Philadelphia hosted tryouts for the U.S. hockey teams in August and for men’s soccer and women’s soccer earlier this month. The international games happen this year from July 17-30 throughout Israel.