Charles E. Broudy, 79, an architect of national and international renown, died Aug. 21. He was a resident of Penn Valley.
After serving in the Korean war, Broudy started Charles E. Broudy & Associates in Philadelphia, an architectural and planning firm specializing in merchandising facilities. For the next 45 years, his firm created more than 1,500 specialty shops, department stores, chain units, shopping centers, art galleries, museum shops and showrooms in the United States and overseas.
His client list included the Gap, Ann Taylor, Boyd's in Philadelphia, Comcast, Nan Duskin, Johnston & Murphy, PetroCanada and museum stores for the Smithsonian Institute, the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston and the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh.
Broudy's varied career included lecturing at the Harvard Graduate School of Design and other institutions, and co-authoring three books on retail design published by McGraw Hill. He held three U.S. patents for innovative design.
Earlier in his career, he was the designer of a World's Fair Pavilion for IBM and three U.S. International Trade Fair Buildings. He has also enhanced local Philadelphia landmarks, including the Reading Terminal Market, and the 1200 and 1300 blocks of Chestnut Street.
Broudy graduated from West Philadelphia High School, where he was a member of the school's Hall of Fame, and Drexel University. He was named to the "Drexel 100," honoring the institution's top 100 most distinguished graduates. He also sponsored a Drexel architectural scholarship named on his behalf.
He was also a fellow of the American Institute of Architects and a past president of its Philadelphia Chapter.
Broudy is survived by his wife, Judith Broudy, and sons Joshua Broudy and Matthew Broudy.