JOB OPENING- The Jewish Federation of Reading, Pennsylvania
President - The Jewish Federation of Reading, Pennsylvania
The Jewish Federation of Reading (http://www.readingjewishcommunity.org/) is the planning, coordinating and fund raising arm of the Jewish community of approximately 2,300. We raise and allocate funds for national and international Jewish organizations including services to the local elderly, kosher meals on wheels and camp scholarships. In addition to our support of the State of Israel (including Meir Panim and Yemen Orde), we also provide assistance with summer experiences in Israel for local students. The community has two active synagogues and a Chabad Center and a PJ Library program with 60 children. The various committees support cultural, religious, and social programs such as stimulating simulcasts of 92nd Street Y events, community Shabbat dinners , Yom Hashoah observance and Israel Independence Day Celebrations. The Leadership Training Program endeavors to educate young Jewish adults and we boast a wide circulation of SHALOM, our monthly newspaper. Additionally, on the campus of Albright College, the federation sponsors a respected and impactful Holocaust Library and Resource Center.
Reading and the surrounding Berks County communities are home to many highly regarded school systems, five colleges and universities, opportunities for outdoor skiing, swimming, boating & fishing, and robust arts offerings including a symphony orchestra, art museums, the Santander Performing Arts Center, Santander Arena and Kutztown University Performing Arts, a Jazz Festival, Goggleworks Center for the Arts, AA Baseball team, EHL Hockey Team, farmers markets and more. A short drive to Philadelphia, New York and Washington, Reading is centrally located, has a rich history, captivating natural beauty, and a low cost of living. See more at: http://www.elocallink.tv/clients3/pa/berkscounty/tourplay.php?movie=cobpa_wel_rev_iwd&spon=welcome and http://www.greaterreading.com/#sthash.dmzDaCZi.dpuf
As professional leader of the Jewish Community, and partner to committees and lay leaders, the President will manage the organization, staff and volunteers as well as have accountability for the federation. S/he will partner with Jewish and general communities and work closely with the Board of Directors.
- Work effectively with the Board and its communities to maximize the results of their efforts. Ensure that meetings are conducted productively and successfully.
- Work with lay leadership to develop skills & knowledge required to build agreement on issues.
- Serve as professional advisor and resource to the Board in all areas of program, finance and agency policy and governance.
- Cultivate, recruit, and maintain effective placement of, and relationships with, top lay leadership and leadership prospects.
- Lead the professional team responsible for planning financial resource development for the Federation - particularly the relationships between the Federation and its major supporters.
- Develop and maintain relationships with major donors; solicit major contributors to the Federation. Motivate and train lay leaders and professionals in their fundraising efforts.
- Partner with lay and professionals to identify alternative funding streams (i.e.grants, fee-based services and programs (youth groups, family programs, etc).
- Supervise financial operations for the Federation. Work closely with the volunteer leadership and staff responsible for finance and administration. Regularly evaluate the management and status of the agency’s financial resources and procedures.
- Oversee the Board and staff process for developing the Federation’s annual budget.
- Work with lay & professional leaders on the relationship between Federation and its agencies.
- Oversee the work of the staff to enhance the operations of the Federation.
- Recruit, train, motivate, evaluate and supervise a staff that can effectively carry out the primary and secondary functions of the Federation.
- Ensure the Federation’s mission is effectively developed and disseminated to the Jewish and general community.
- Serve as a primary representative and spokesperson for the Federation throughout the community, with private and public funders and with national and international Jewish organizations, partners and beneficiaries.
- Oversee Jewish Cultural Center: Manage the facility itself and Membership Development.
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree; Masters preferred + a minimum 5-7 years experience managing non profit organization or similar experience.
The Jewish Federations of North America is conducting the search on behalf of The Jewish Federation of Reading. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume and recent salary history to [email protected].