Advertisement

Community

The best resource for Jewish events and the Jewish community in Philadelphia

Would-be Snowbirds Have Plenty of Options

By Dec. 28, many of the readership’s snowbirds would have already departed for warmer climes, but for those who hadn’t, travel agencies advertised numerous...

Reaching Out to Feed a Friend

Every Tuesday around 11 a.m., Lisa Berkowitz’s phone rings. She reaches for her cane and makes her way to the kitchen phone with excitement....

YJLC Floats On

Young Jewish Leadership Concepts hosted 15 East Coast representatives from the Philadelphia, New York and Washington, D.C., regions for a day of rafting down...

Abramson Center for Jewish Life Awards Nursing Assistant

Certified nursing assistant Nakia Webb received the 2017 Phyllis Abramson Licht Award for providing exceptional care to seniors at the Madlyn and Leonard Abramson...

Stosh Cotler to Speak About Social Justice and Women’s Role in a Communal Agenda

Stosh Cotler, the outspoken CEO of Bend the Arc, will speak at the fall event of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia’s Women of...

Injured Nanny Leaves Parent in a Quandary

Dear Miriam, I recently hired a new nanny for my 2-year-old daughter. We were having some trouble conveying our expectations to her, but we wanted...

Boarders Common During Era

Aside from train schedules for the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad (referred to here as Railway), Page 8 of the 10-page...

September 1899 in the Exponent: Holiday Leads to Packed Synagogues

Prominent New Year’s Sermons Detailed Rosh Hashanah fell early in 1899, and the Sept. 8 issue of the Jewish Exponent that year included extensive holiday...

Ellis Gerson Wachs, Charming Shoppes Executive and Philanthropist, Dies at 88

Ellis Gerson Wachs, who built a small women’s clothing store into a major international chain and contributed to numerous charitable causes — many within...

A Word From Our New Chair of the Board

BY SUSANNA LACHS ADLER It is my honor and privilege to take on my new role of chair of the board of Jewish Federation of...