Devoting her life to charity work and volunteering at numerous organizations and institutions, she was strongly committed to her Jewish values and heritage. She was recently honored by Jewish Chaplaincy for her 55 years of service.
Affectionately called "Addie," she proved the backbone of the Jewish Chaplaincy, helping to provide meals and comfort to the many nursing-home residents she visited.
After serving as president of the Sisterhood for Chaplaincy, she became president of the Women's Division in 1983. The agency grew under her leadership, providing meals and chaplains to those hospitalized in nursing homes and institutions.
Over the years, Miller manifested her care through personal visitations to many facilities, such as the Elwyn Institute, Inglis House, Woodhaven Center and Belmont (formerly Philadelphia Psychiatric Center).
She instituted and catered holiday dinners for residents of the Philadelphia Nursing Home on four different occasions, and received the Four Chaplains Award for volunteer service. She volunteered at the Children's Heart Hospital, Rittenhouse Care Center and the Chateau Nursing Center in Bryn Mawr.
Miller was president of the Women's Division of the American Technion Society of Philadelphia for five years and served on the national board.
Formerly on the Federation of Jewish Agencies Board of Trustees, she was an honorary member of the Women's Board of the Federation of Jewish Agencies. She was also a member of the State of Israel Bonds and chaplaincy chair of the Women's League for Conservative Judaism.
Miller is survived by daughter Linda Knapp-Joehnk; son Melvin Miller; two grandchildren; a great-grandchild; and an "adopted" son, Mortie Smith. She was predeceased by her husband of 57 years, Alfred S. Miller, in 1993.
A memorial service is set for Sunday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m., at Adath Israel, 250 N. Highland Avenue in Merion.
Memorial donations can be made to: Women's Division of the American Technion Society, 55 E. 59th St., New York, N.Y. 10022 or the Pennsylvania SPCA, 350 E. Erie Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19134-1013.