Maurice Laub, 95, a retired civil engineer, died Oct. 3. He was a lifelong resident of Philadelphia.
Laub, who grew up in the Logan section of the city, graduated from Gratz High School. He earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering. During his senior year at Penn, he was elected to Tau Beta Pi, a national honor fraternity recognizing outstanding engineering and science students.
Upon graduation from Penn, Laub held several civil-service positions. In 1938, together with his father, Alexander, and two brothers, Albert and Benjamin, he formed Laub Construction Company, Inc., with principal offices in Philadelphia. He was the company's chief engineer.
Laub led the growth of the construction company through many projects, including those for the Army, Navy, Veteran's Administration and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Later, his company specialized in projects involving water- and sewage-treatment plants in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
In addition, his firm was involved in highway and bridge projects for the City of Philadelphia and the Delaware River Port Authority.
Laub retired in 1974, and the construction company dissolved. After retirement, he stayed active in construction matters as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association.
Long active in civic and fraternal organizations, Laub was a co-founder of the Cheltenham Council of Civic Associations, an officer and transportation chairman of the Citizen's Council of Montgomery County, and a five-term president of the Delaware Valley Citizen's Transportation Committee.
He was also a participant in the Penn-Jersey Transportation study, which led to the establishment of the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission's designation as the official Metropolitan Planning Organization for the nine-county Delaware Valley region.
Additionally, Laub was chairman of the Technical Advisory Committee for Highways and a member of the TAC for Transit at the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.
Laub was very active in alumni affairs at the University of Pennsylvania. He served a number of terms as president of the class of 1934, was a former board member of the General Alumni Society and former board member of the Council of Organized Classes. Also, he was a former officer of the Engineering Alumni Society.
More recently, he spearheaded the effort behind the 70th reunion of the class of 1934 at the University of Pennsylvania. He also was accorded the honor of being the parade marshal at Penn's 2004 Alumni Day festivities.
Laub was a member of B'nai B'rith and a member of that organization's Quaker City Lodge since 1947. He served as president of the B'nai B'rith Bowling League, the Quaker City Lodge and the B'nai B'rith Council of Greater Philadelphia. He also served as a member of the Metropolitan Board of the Anti-Defamation League.
He is survived by a son, Martin Laub, and two grandchildren. He was predeceased in 1995 by his wife of 53 years, the former Belle Pollack.
Memorial donations can be made to: the Madlyn and Leonard Abramson Center for Jewish Life, 1425 Horsham Road, North Wales, PA 19454.