Henry Abrams, 97, a longtime ophthalmologist, died Jan. 25. He was a resident of Philadelphia and Loveladies, N.J.
Abrams attended Temple University and its medical school. He practiced in Princeton, N.J., from 1937 to 1973 — the first two years in general practice and the balance in ophthalmology.
He took postgraduate training in ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and served a two-year residency in ophthalmology at Wills Eye Hospital.
Abrams served as an eye surgeon during World War II in the Public Health Service, attached to the Coast Guard, with duty in Greenland and the Philippines.
He also taught on the ophthalmology faculty of Penn's medical school for 15 years, and was a member of the Board of Education of the Princeton Public School for 15 years.
In addition, he was a founder and president of the Princeton Jewish Center, a former president of the N.J. Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, a fellow of the Philadelphia College of Physicians and chairman of the Israel Bonds campaign.
Abrams served as a volunteer eye surgeon to the Israel Army Medical Corps during and following the 1967 Six-Day War and the Yom Kippur War in 1973. For his service, Hadassah awarded him the Myrtle Wreath, and the Israel Bonds Organization conferred upon him the Jerusalem Award.
He practiced on a reduced-time schedule in Manhawkin, N.J., from 1974 to 1983, when he retired. He was a member of Congregation Adath Jeshurun in Elkins Park and the Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island, N.J.
Abrams is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Nona L. Piwosky; daughters Elise A. Kraut and Barbara Abrams; son Mark R. Abrams; stepdaughter Lisa K. Levin Kimmelman; stepsons Jonathan L. Levin and Marshall S. Levin; 16 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Memorial contributions can be made to: the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, 2100 Arch St., Philadelphia, PA 19103, or Congregation Adath Jeshurun, 7763 Old York Road, Elkins Park, PA 19027.