Shir Shalom: A Community for Humanistic Judaism
Shir Shalom ("Song of Peace") is a community of Humanistic Jews. We embrace a human-centered philosophy that combines rational thinking with a celebration of Jewish culture and identity. We affirm the power and responsibility of human beings to shape their own lives independent of supernatural authority. We use reason to guide our individual and community decisions. We are drawn together by our shared ideals, including education, kindness in dealings with others, respect for the earth and its creatures, and tikkun olam (repair of the world). With this purpose in mind, Shir Shalom...
- Welcomes those who identify with the history, culture, and future of the Jewish people;
- Encourages the participation of multi-cultural and non-traditional families;
- Celebrates Jewish holidays and life-cycle events in a non-theistic way;
- Presents programs and discussions relevant to Jewish humanists;
- Collaborates with other secular humanist organizations in the Greater Philadelphia Jewish community to assure access of our members to child and adult secular Jewish education and a wide range of secular and Jewish experiences;
- Offers an environment of friendship, sharing, and support.